Monday, December 10, 2012

Master Bedroom - Progress



The master bedroom was the first room that we took a hammer to. We needed a space that was ours. Somewhere that didn't remind me of my grandmother, somewhere that wasn't covered in saw dust, or spackling -- and somewhere that we could relax without feeling the overwhelming urge to paint something.

While we are far from finished, I feel that a progress report is appropriate. Here is what the room looked like before we moved in:



Our first order of business was removing the wall of gold-leafed mirrors.


To be fair, the wall of mirrors was quite the statement. I mean, it was bold - right?

As much as I admire my grandmother's design decisions, we decided to return to the days of old -- sheet rock. (And by we, I mean Jeff.) That wonderful human being removed each tile one-by-one (only breaking a few) and donated them to a friend of ours.

Mirrors and wallpaper gone.


For the next two months, the room was in varying stages of construction and disarray. We purchased a new mattress, refinished our dresser, and even painted the ceiling the wrong color. It's a work in progress, but I think it's time for an unveiling.

May I present to you ... our bedroom:



What do you think?  The walls are blue, and...um...so is the ceiling (whupps).


What's behind curtain #1 you ask?


The master bath.


Yep, this room is pretty far down on our priority list as we'll likely bring in a contractor. So, for now, the curtain will remain closed.

Back to the main event. Ta daaaaaaa:



I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming along; however, we still have quite a bit of work left to do. Here's the run down on our master-bedroom-almost-finished-to-do-list.

1. Finish painting the trim:



2. Put in quarter-round molding around the base boards, and clean/polish the floors:


3. Install our ceiling fan (and get rid of this guy):


4. Put in crown molding around the ceiling -- and perhaps repaint the ceiling (the right color).





5. Finish painting the shutters that go over the main windows.

Currently, the shutters are half-painted and waiting their turn in line...in the place where all painting projects go to die:


6. We also need to replace the light switches, vents, security boxes, and outlets:



7. Oh, and the doors need to be painted (and perhaps new hardware).


This may just be me being mean at this point, but we also need to (8.) hang art work, (9.) buy a rug, and (10.) find a new comforter set for the bed. I can almost hear Jeff rolling his eyes right now.

Anyhow, the list is never ending - but I'm okay with that. It's slowly becoming ours, and I have no doubt that the room will evolve over time.

Here's a before and after shot for the road:


And one more, because I can't help myself:


Have a great night, all. I am going to go drink a glass of wine and pat myself on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment