Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Recipe-schmecipe

One of my resolutions for 2013 is to cook at least once a week. I know that sounds like a wimpy resolution, but for someone who can barely manage to heat up a can of soup in the microwave without burning it, spilling it, splattering it, etc., this is a lofty [and perhaps, unattainable] goal.

With that being said, I am happy to report that I managed to make a decent meal last week, thanks to Giada De Laurentiis and the Food and Wine Annual Cookbook 2012. For those of you who don't know, the fact that I even pulled out a cookbook is a big deal - as 95% of the time, I find them insulting and bossy. I hate being told what to do, and I also hate math. So, it's pretty much a lose-lose from the start.


I set out to make Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Shells with Arrabbiata Sauce and a Snack Mix for dessert. Sounds good, right? Well, I had the best intentions, I did -- and I bought almost all of the necessary ingredients. (Sure, I omitted a couple of unnecessary grains and spices, and added a few things that I thought might improve upon the culinary outcome -- but essentially, I felt as though I was on track.)



This may or may not come as a surprise to you, but I ended up with two dishes that held zero resemblance to either of the original recipes.

Naturally, I have decided to rename them -- Ground Turkey and Publix Brand Marinara Sauce Lasagna with Tomato Penne and Gooey Sunflower Pretzel Melt. You can use your imagination as to where I went wrong.





It still tasted good; which, apparently, is all that matters.  (Note: this is what they tell people who don't know how to follow a recipe. I've heard it a million time, and it never makes me feel better.)

Here's to learning to follow directions, and investing in better measuring utensils.

All of my culinary love,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment